Tristy Lee- DIY | Home Decor | Art | Project Inspiration
Do your girls like playing dress-up? Lily and her cousin Aspen sure do. One of their favorite parts is putting on the crown at the end. I love putting barrettes and bows in Lily’s hair, but I got frustrated with the selection I was finding, so I decided to try and make some. I thought it would be fun to have various colors to fit outfits, seasons, and holidays. That is how our adventure into making DIY Kids Headbands started. We have probably made 50 or more because they are easy and fast, and now everyone wants some. Lily calls them her crowns.
To start off, we went to the local craft store looking for some supplies. We found lots of cute options at craft stores and local big box stores. We found packages of headbands, some blank plastic that we decorated and others with a base color. We looked for ribbon, buttons, little plastic embellishments that would fit nicely on the headbands. Another smart spot to look is in the jewelry making section if you want to add some sparkle or specific theme charms to your crowns.
- E6400 Glue
- Hot Glue
How to Create DIY Kids Crowns
Tips and tricks:
- Attaching ribbon can be done with hot glue alone. Get creative with ribbon looping it and layering it.
- Ribbons that have gathers and texture add a pretty touch.
- Heavier embellishments use a combination of hot glue and E6400.
- I put a dot of hot glue on the headband, and the E6400 on the embellishments, then attach them.
- The reason we use both is the hot glue will immediately hold it in place. The E6400 will keep it long term, and they won’t pop off as quickly.
Lily and Aspen’s Headbands
These are so much fun when Lily wears them to pre-school she gets compliments daily. She likes to pick matching headbands with her outfits. Lily likes to call them her crowns. This DIY kids headband project was so much fun she has some for Valentine’s, Halloween, Fall, and Christmas. Take your little one with you to pick out some embellishments for the crowns you will create. I would love to see the crowns you make.
WANT MORE LILIES AND JETS:
See more projects on our Blog
Follow us on Instagram: Lilies and Jets